- Primary School
- Early Years Foundation Stage
Early Years Foundation Stage
“Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential. Children develop quickly in the early years and a child’s experiences between birth and age five have a major impact on their future life chances. A secure, safe and happy childhood is important in its own right. Good parenting and high quality early learning together provide the foundation children need to make the most of their abilities and talents as they grow up.”
Early Years Statutory Framework, September 2021
The Early Years Foundation Stage is a distinct phase for children and covers their development from the age of three to the end of the reception year. It recognises that early childhood is an important stage of life and has its own particular needs. The Early Years Foundation Stage acknowledges the many valuable skills children have developed and the importance of the role parents play in this.
Our aims for the Early Years at St Mary Magdalene Academy are to:
- provide a broad and balanced curriculum for every child to develop the building blocks for future learning
- provide quality and consistency in teaching and learning so that every child makes good progress and no child gets left behind
- develop close working partnerships between practitioners and with parents and/or carers
- ensure every child is included and supported through equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice
Four guiding principles from the Early Years Statutory Framework - a unique child, positive relationships; enabling environments and learning and development - form the basis of our approach to practice at St Mary Magdalene Academy.