Ethos & Values
"SHOW BY A GOOD LIFE THAT YOUR WORKS ARE DONE BY GENTLENESS BORN OF WISDOM"
Our school motto is at the heart of how we work and learn together in the Academy:
- We understand that it is not enough to talk, but that we demonstrate our values by showing through our actions.
- We recognise that a good life consists of more than just academic achievement but one filled with humanity and cultural richness.
- We value work and how committing to it can bring satisfaction and nourishment.
- Gentleness is central in the relationships between staff, pupils, and families.
- We strive for wisdom in the choices we make.
We believe that kindness, self-respect, tolerance, and respect for our learning environment are fundamental to who we are, they sit at the heart of the Academy’s ethos and are an important aspect of our ongoing mission to maintain a happy and successful community.
The SMMA Way is encapsulated in five expectations which all in our community are expected to adhere to:
- Behave kindly, show courtesy and respect to all members of the Academy Community.
- Respect learning, never disrupt lessons or the learning of others.
- Strive for 100% attendance, be punctual and bring the correct equipment.
- Engage and persevere in all lessons and complete all set tasks.
- Take pride in SMMA and demonstrate the Academy’s Values.
We make a substantial commitment to the development of character in our pupils and their pastoral wellbeing. We are driven in our curriculum design as well as in our daily living to support our pupils’ character development and working in partnership with parents, ensure that their children are well-organised, content and ready to learn.
Through our assemblies and in class, we focus on six Christian values which underpin our approach.